Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fun + Friends + Work + School = Not enough miles

Sooo, I've been a little...under...my scheduled weekly mileage the past two weeks, but I'm not disappointed in myself.  I started running a few years ago to keep in shape in the absence of a gym membership, but I grew to love it.  I decided to run a half marathon because I thought it would be fun.  I decided to run a marathon because I wanted to accomplish something epic.  I run for me.  Running is something that's completely natural and freeing and makes me feel both relaxed and exhilarated.  This is why I'll never get down on myself for cutting a run short, missing my goal miles for the week, or even deviating from a marathon training schedule.  The fact of the matter is that I run because I love it, but there are many things I love in life: beer, theatre, sleep, learning, and more importantly friends and family.  Lucky for me, there have been lots of friends around lately, new and old, that have taken up some of my running time.  (Don't worry, running knows I have a life and it loves me anyway.  We have a very healthy relationship.)

As I mentioned earlier this week, I took a trip to the homeland and got to spend time with my wonderful parents and a couple of elementary school buds.  When I returned, one of my favorite ladies from college was visiting NYC from London.  We did happy hour, did lunch, went dancing with fabulous ladies, took shots of tequila (only one), and ate lots and lots of fro yo (it was really hot last weekend).

The lovely Adi

This week I got to spend a number of delightful dinners with my classmates (yea grad school!), including one that began at a Thai restaurant (Yum Yum....not sure which version), traveled to a bar for pumpkin beer ($5 special what whaaaaat) and ended with one of the most amazing pieces of theater I've seen since I moved to New York.  Seriously, go see Sons of the Prophet at Roundabout.  I say no more.

Green curry...yes I'm obsessed 

Shock Top Pumpkin Ale.  mmmmm.

Best Classmates Ever.  

These are just some highlights of the glorious disregard for deadlines I've been reveling in lately.  Yes, I have a marathon to run in a little over a month.  Yes, I need to find a full time job soon.  Yes, I'm in charge of making a huge event happen in early December.  Yes, I have a flurry of school deadlines looming over the next few weeks.  No, I haven't accomplished as much as I should have on any of these things, but I haven't been wasting any time.  I've been taking good care of myself and my personal well being.  I've been treating my relationships with the wonderful people in my life with all the care and time they deserve, and I've been enjoying every minute of my life.  And you know what?  I'm not behind on any of my big projects either.  I still went on my long run on Saturday (which went great), I've gotten all my work done for this week's deadlines, and that event is going to be awesome. 

Work hard.  Play hard.  Love life.

Do you prioritize fun?  How do you feel about missing a workout?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment