Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Survived my First Marathon!!

I haven't blogged in a few weeks, and frankly it's because I was too overwhelmed to articulate all the things I've been doing.  With this morning's race over, one of the biggest challenges is behind me and I feel ready to share again!

So the Marathon.  The First Ever Bucks County Marathon to be specific, consisted of 26.2 miles of trail along the Delaware Canal Tow Path in (where else) Bucks County, PA (this happens to be my homeland).  We kicked off a little after 9am in Yardley and plodded north to New Hope.  Let me just say, this is one of the most beautiful places in the country and I highly recommend a stint in a Bed and Breakfast to rejuvenate your soul. 
I'm in the weirdly short person in the blue hat and purple shirt.  I swear I'm not that small irl.


Miles 1-12 were easy peasy.  I carried along with a pace between 9 and 9:30 min miles and soaked up some lovely views. 


Miles 12-14 got a little bit warm and sunny, but weren't bad, and then 14-16 was golden again...then I started getting tired...and sore...and really, really over running. 
My dad was Captain Camera today... also, told you it was beautiful.

I carried on pretty well until about mile 19.  I stopped, stretched a little and then carried on.  The last 7 miles were a mix of running, walking, and shuffling.  After mile 25, I decided to just power through whatever pain came my way. 

I wasn't thrilled, but I finished strong and crossed the finish line under my goal of 4h30m with a final time of 4h25m38s and promptly found a patch of grass on which to plant my sore bum.

I did it.  I ran my first marathon.  I am a marathoner.  It hasn't all sunk in quite yet, and thanks to a tip from my parents, I took a couple advil right after and I am feeling FRESH right now.  I imagine the crippling soreness tomorrow might help me process the event :).

Thanks a million to my parents, who managed to make it to EVERY spectator spot along the course with signs, cowbells and words of encouragement, to all my friends who've reminded me that this is something to be proud of, to all the AMAZING bloggers whose tips, tricks and recipes I have shamelessly stolen and utilized, and to all you runners out there who inspire me each and every day.  We rock, and we really can accomplish anything. 

Now I'm going to sit on the couch with my purring heating pad :)


What are you proud of this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment