Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Long Wintry Weekend

This weekend was COLD man.  Luckily, I had some work to do inside so I didn't feel too guilty staying in, on the couch, with a mug of hot whatever.  Hot whatever started with the first cup of coffee from my new French Press (a present to myself for nailing my third semester of straight A's.  Grad school = 0, Aubrie = 4.0)!
In case you were wondering, the coffee was delicious, but I was too excited to remember to take a picture.

On Friday night I went to this KILLER kettlebell class that kicked. my. butt.  No joke, folks, I was dripping sweat on the floor of the YMCA cardio room and my legs are stilllll sore (4 days later?!).  Needless to say it was all kinds of awesome and I can't wait to go back!  However, the sore made me even more of a couch potato and after an unsuccessful mile on Saturday morning, I retreated to netflix and a warm blanket.

On Sunday my parents came up for the day, and my mom suggested going to Central Park...on that tepid 18 degree day.  Really, mom?  I talked her into the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian in Battery Park (inside) and a trip to the World Trade Center Memorial (less outside than Central Park?).  We had a great  day, and I have to say I was incredibly impressed with the WTC memorial.


Because the water cascades down two levels of darkness it gives you an incredible sense of loss and weight.  You can't see the bottom, it's just this endless drop.  It's powerful and beautiful and captures what an enormous loss that day was for our country.

After the memorial it was time for the game!  Now, I'm an Eagles fan through and through, but my dad grew up in New Jersey, so he has a soft spot for the Giants, and my boyfriend's a huge Giants fan, so we were cheering on the G-men this weekend.  We watched the game at this awesome bbq/mexican place in Park Slope called Rachels.  They have $4 margaritas (yay!) and this:



Can you say HOLY GUACAMOLE?  That was my dad's dinner.  It was huge.  For reference, that's an iPhone at the top right corner of the photo.  The width of this burrito was longer than an iPhone!  He ate about 2/3 of that thing, which I personally find very impressive (and potential inspired by the $4 margaritas).  I had a taco/enchillada combo with black beans and rice that was just right.  I will definitely be going back there soon.

Now, where am I going to watch the games this weekend?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment