Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Preparedness: Aubrie Style

So if you live in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, you're probably expecting a visit from Irene.  (I hear she's a hot mess, but enough of the gossip.)  Since all of the news stations have been telling me what to do for the past week, I've been prepared for days.  Batteries, jugs of water, non-perishable goods (have I mentioned that half of my diet consists of canned beans?), I've got that part DOWN. 

Since I'm not in a hurricane evacuation zone (all good thoughts and prayers to all who are), I've been focusing on the more important aspects of Hurricane Preparedness.

Step 1: Go out with friends and get all of the weekend wild out of your system.
Coney Island Lager at BAR(n)

I did this twice already (Thursday and Friday), so clearly I am prepared.  On Thursday I hung out with the amazing folks of the Brooklyn College Graduate Theatre department at BAR(n).   Lucky for me, this included Keelie from Sweat = Success, who is kind of my personal hero (I may or may not stalk her blog).

Friday night included my awesome new roommate (who incidentally is also a grad student at Brooklyn College), and some neighborhood friends.  We went to The Clover Club for some fancy cocktails, and were not disappointed.  I got a Rhubarb Spritz (oh hello fruit and champagne), and it was divine.  I highly recommend this bar for a  first date.  The noise level is perfect and they explain all of the different kinds of cocktails in the menu, which makes for great conversation.  Since no weekend is complete for me without a terrible light beer, we swung by my favorite dive, Angry Wades.  Step 1 Complete.

Step 2: Eat all of the perishable items in the refrigerator just in case you lose power.

For lunch I knocked out the last of my romaine and spinach with some snap peas, black beans, and parmesan in one killer salad.  You guys I am running a race against time to eat all of the cheese in my fridge before the the electricity goes and it rots.  This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Do you know what else isn't going to survive without the gentle loving care of AC power?  The ICE CREAM!  What a travesty it would be if there was anything left of that pint of Ben and Jerry's Karamel Sutra in my freezer when we lost power!  Obviously, I am on it.

Step 3: Figure out how to log into your work email remotely so you can find out if the office is closed on Monday morning.  (I'm still working on this one.)

Step 4: Stock up on books and magazines because you KNOW, you will go crazy if you are not constantly entertained.  Living without the internet for several hours might be the most dangerous part of this entire storm (in my opinion).

Step 5: Put up snide and saucy messages all over twitter and facebook.  Retweet and Share everyone else's snide and saucy statements that were far more witty than your own.

In all seriousness though, everyone be safe through the storm, and thanks to everyone for the good wishes and thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout, homegirl!

    BE SAFE! See you sooooon!

    ReplyDelete