Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Yoga and Lentils

Call me Christopher Columbus folks, because I've discovered a whole new world.  I had never gone to a Yoga class before, despite doing some yoga in dance classes and doing pilates for years.  I though yogis were pretentious and kept their perfect mats in their lululemon mat bags, who held disdain in their heart for the casual class drop-in.  I was intimidated, and I was a little bit stuck up about it, so I never tried yoga.


Lucky for me, I belong to a YMCA that offers Beginner's yoga classes.  I thought I could give a beginners class a chance.  So tonite, I did.  OH MY OHMMMMM.  I am hooked.  Rita, the teacher was amazing, and I left that class feeling cleansed.  It was a comfortable challenge for my body, nothing too strenous, that's left me feeling refreshed of body and spirit.  Yoga is officially added to my training schedule. Done.

Since I was feeling so intrepid today, I decided to try cooking with lentils for the first time.  I read that lentils are the best protein for the environment, based on the amount of protein in comparison to the amount of energy it takes to grow, harvest and deliver it.  I'm all about protein that loves the planet!

I sauteed kale, onion, garlic and vegetable stock in large saucepan.  Next I added cooked brown rice and canned lentils (amateur, I know) sprinkled in some salt and pepper and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  Since I'm addicted to spicy, I added some hot sauce to my bowl.  It was delicious.  My roommate even said so. 

Then I treated myself to some Cappuccino Chip blended Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream (thank you Edy's). 


Any healthy new discoveries out there?  Foods, workouts or tools that you love to stay healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment