Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Adventures in Protein Shakes

I was getting a little bored with eating the exact same thing every morning, so I decided to take a tip from my Dad (Mr. P90X), and try a protein shake for breakfast.  I used:

1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 cup of skim milk
1 scoop of chocolate whey protein
1/4 cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt
1 tbsp flaxseed meal

Nutrition deets: 40g Protein, 367 Calories

I realize it's a little redundant on the dairy, but it was really good and chock full of delicious protein, omega 3s and antioxidants.  The greek yogurt gave it just a hint of sour to counter the sweetness of the whey protein  I have some kale in my fridge that I wanted to add, but that would have required the foresight to food process it first.  I was not so inclined.  Anyhow, I recommend this shake (provided your not lactose intolerant), as it's almost lunchtime and I'm still full.

Last night I knocked out 3 miles...I set out for a 5 mile run, but it did not go so well.  Note to self: when you cannot be alone with your own thoughts, run with an ipod.  I spent the last mile sprinting home and singing the alphabet over and over and over to myself to try and block out all the noise in my head.  I'll be hitting those five tonight armed with showtunes (nothing murders thoughts of reality like a good musical score). 

This weekend I'm headed to the homeland so I'm super excited to do my scheduled 12 miler on some trails (currently listening to Simon and Garfunkel's Homeword Bound).  I love running in the city, and I'm a mile from Prospect Park so I'm never far from a run with nature, but every once in awhile you just want to be alone on a trail.  I recently finished Martin Dugard's "To Be a Runner" and it's totally got me itching to get off of the pavement and onto the dirt.  I highly recommend this book, if you're even marginally inclined to running.  For one, it's motivating, he's so excited about life and running and it's completely infectious.  Additionally, he's not only an experienced runner, he's also a coach, so there's a lot of practical running wisdom woven into captivating narrative.  I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment