Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Want to know why New Yorkers wear black?

(Note: this post is a day late..oops)

I was up and out the door at 6:28 this morning to get in a run before the heat set in.  Don't believe me?  I took a picture to prove it:


It was a breezy sweaty three miles, but a great start to the day.  I didn't eat anything before I went out...too early.  When I got home I put on this cute pajama dress my mom got me to chill out and get some things done before work, but I liked it so much, I decided to wear it to work.  (I'm wearing pajamas at work!!)  I meant to take a picture for you, but felt like a creepy blogger about it and didn't, so you'll just have to assume I didn't look like a nut in my hot pink dress.

I have to say, I now remember why I don't wear bright colors.  You know that campaign against street heckling women that's floating around the internet?  I mean I totally support you ladies, but I'm pretty sure its not realistic.  On a given day (when I'm not wearing bright colors), I'll probably get howled at by no less than 3 different men of varying shape, size and age, not to mention the looks and the whistles, etc.  Just so you know, this is NOT because I'm exceptionally attractive.  Any girl in this city has the same experience on a given day.  After your first few weeks, months, years here (depending on the person), you stop reacting, stare straight ahead and scowl at the world instead of flashing that megawatt smile as you walk on by.  You don't keep track, you don't remember and it no longer phases you.  There are a lot of people on the street and you just want to avoid as many of them as possible.  However, in pink today, I was "complimented" as I deposited a check at the ATM INSIDE MY BANK, by the man who ran the cart where I purchased my iced coffee (he gave me the JUMBO for the regular price though so I forgave him), and by someone in the lobby of my building.  C'mon gentlemen!  I understand that strangers on the street are one thing, but I'm conducting my daily business here, keep your comments to yourself!  Anyhow, now I remember why I wear black in the heat of summer.  Sad but true.

On a more positive note, I have leftover Thai food for lunch today (shut up, I get a "get out of jail free" card when my mom takes me out to dinner, plus there's no cheese in it (in other news apparently cheese is also bad for the environment), and I don't have to go the gym or run in the billion degree heat this afternoon.  I guess I'll take today as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment