Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Retail Therapy...and a love letter to friends


Because when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping (that's how that saying goes right?).  In an effort to dig myself out of the funk I've been in, I did a little athletic wear shopping.  I ended up with two new sports bras and a pair of shorts, all from Old Navy, that were on sale for $10 each!  Armed with my new gear, I set out on a 5 miler around south Brooklyn last night.  I have to say, it was kind of glorious.  I was rocking some tunes, kept a steady pace, and although it was pretty hot and humid, it started sprinkling the tiniest bit during my last two miles.  In all my emotional overwrought-ness it felt like much need relief from the heavens.  The whole thing felt pretty victorious. 

I haven't been hungry in the evening lately (which is completely weird for me since I typically eat half of my calories after 7pm).  It could be because I'm getting more protein during the day (yay!) or it might be because I become morose and dejected when the sun goes down.  Either way, I've been making sure I eat a decent dinner and get in bed before midnight.  (I've been super super good about breakfast!  Bonus points?)  Last night I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" which trails a handful of runners as they prepare and run the Chicago marathon.  1) It was awesome. 2) I sobbed like a baby when the gun went off at the EPIC-ness of it all.  3) I'm keeping it on my instant queue on Netflix and will watch whenever I'm feeling stuck while training.

In other news, I have amazing friends.  It's really awe inducing to know that in spite of being spread literally around the world, that my friends are always there for me when I need them.  I can't even express how grateful I am, to all those new and old.  I'm going to have a chance to see some of my favorite girls from high school this weekend (who I haven't seen in an embarrassing number of years), friends from grade school, and family.  When I come back from my country retreat, I know I'm coming back to wonderful people here in the city.  I am incredibly lucky.  Your generosity fills me with gratitude and I hope I bring as much goodness into your lives as you bring to mine.

So maybe shopping isn't what the tough do when the going gets tough....maybe they reach out to their even tougher friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment