Monday, July 25, 2011

My awful, terrible, no-good weekend.. or I think I'm running a marathon?

Going into this weekend I knew it was going to be rough.  I was scheduled to work all day Saturday and Sunday (and by all day I mean 12noon-12midnight) at the Park Avenue Armory, ushering for the Royal Shakespeare Company.  While the hours were long, and I spent a little too much time on my feet, working turned out to be the best part of my weekend.  The theater is air conditioned like whoa, I got to see FOUR amazing productions by one of the world's best Shakespeare companies (I may or may not have offended an actor at some point...oops), and I got to spend some time with a couple of lovely ladies from my grad program.  All in all, it was not so bad.  The items around working, in which Friday night was a disaster, I sweat it out in my apartment, cried out of exhaustion and frustration, and ran out of clean laundry were not so good. 

Things are shifting in my life right now, and being the stubborn person that I am, I'm resistant to the change (mostly because I have no control over it).  I suppose it's all a part of the transient nature of your twenties.  It is a time for big life changes, seemingly insurmountable challenges, and testing your steel.  Surely the moment of greatest difficulty is a moment for great growth.  I'm determined to stay positive and focus on being the best I can be.  So as any rational person would do in a moment of uncertainty, I made a rash decision. 


I signed up for my first marathon...in November.  The very first ever Bucks County Marathon is being held on November 20, 2011, and I will be running it.  I'm completely terrified (sick to my stomach thinking about it right now), but I have no doubt I'll be able to handle the challenge.  (I'm suddenly reallly glad I signed up for that 18miler in September.)  Was it a stupid thing to sign up for (and fork over $100 for) on impulse?  Yes.  Do I hate myself a little bit right now?  Definitely.  Am I really incredibly excited to run my first marathon in THE very first marathon to be held in my hometown?  Hell yes!

Since I'm already training for distance, I don't think it'll be a far cry once the time comes around.  I was fairly healthy all weekend, in spite of a two day respite from running (does 4 reps of standing for 5 hours at a time count as a run?).  I've been starting my days with a whole grain english muffin, peanut butter and banana, rocking a variety of salads for lunch, and eating whatever happens to be available for dinner.  (I have big plans for a grocery store run this afternoon to improve my current evening menu options, of which I'll keep you posted.)  It's time to get serious, and I can't think of any better motivation to run than when the world seems to be falling out from under me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment