Thursday, September 15, 2011

Clean Teeth and Good Food

I bought a Living Social deal to go to Park Dentisty back in......March (I may have been putting off a trip to the dentist....since 2008).  The reality is that I haven't had dental insurance since college.  For a long time I was terrified that they'd find a cavity and I wouldn't be able to afford the costs of fixing it.  Obviously avoidance was the best way to deal with the situation.  So for the past 3.5 years I've been practicing the very best dental hygiene and hoping against hope that I didn't have a serious dental problem.  No pain, no problems, right?

Anyhow, when a trip to the dentist (in my neighborhood no less) literally came through my inbox, I had to jump on the opportunity.  Thankfully, I'm in a more secure financial situation now than I have been, so I decided to go for it.  Oh. My. Goodness.  SO GOOD.

Dr. Milito was amazing.  She was so kind, her assistant and her receptionist were absolutely lovely and accommodating, and my teeth feel oh so fabulous right now.  Luckily, my delinquent self didn't have any cavities or gum disease (although I had a little bit of plaque build up courtesy of years without a dentist's cleaning).  She cleaned me up, sent me off and I've promised to go to the dentist every six months like a good girl from now on.    Cue creepy photo of my clean teeth:
Pearly whites!





 When I got home I waited the obligatory hour after the appointment (is that still a thing?), and then started MUNCHING on all the fruits and veggies in my apartment.  I had a monte cristo panini (no sides) from Prospect Perk Cafe for lunch, so I was a little desperate for some greens.  First I cut up some mango all fancy pants to show of my mad knife skills:
Next I decided to try my hand at roasted brussel sprouts.  I LOVE brussel sprouts, but I'd never roasted them before so I wanted to give it a shot.  I tossed those bad boys in a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper:
I roasted them in the oven at 350 for about ten minutes, then flipped them all over and roasted for another ten.  They were delicious!  (Also, my teeth weren't sensitive post dentist as I'd worried they would be, wahoo!)


Have you ever put off taking care of yourself for financial reasons?  Know of any affordable options for the uninsured?



No comments:

Post a Comment